Category Archives: 上海419龙凤

Duke of Kent unlikely to survive sale

The Duke of Kent is expected to fetch more than $10 million.Another free-standing Melbourne pub looks set to be sold as a development site as land values in the city’s heated property sector double.
Shanghai night field

The three-storey Duke of Kent Hotel on La Trobe Street has been put on the market by the Yankos family, which has owned the venue for 50 years.

The tan brick pub has served beer at the 502-square-metre corner site since 1929 under what is believed to be the oldest continous licence in Melbourne, first granted for another city location in 1843.

DTZ’s Patrick O’Callaghan, who is marketing the site, said the property was likely to attract much interest from local and offshore developers given the level of ”pent-up demand” and scarcity of developable city sites.

”Over the past 12 months the land rate per square metre has gone from just over $10,000 per square metre to in excess of $20,000 per square metre,” Mr O’Callaghan said.

Another hotel site, The Savoy at 134-160 Spencer Street, opposite Southern Cross Station, on one of the city’s busiest corners, sold last month in an off-market deal brokered by Colliers for about $24,317 per sq m to a new arrival, the Singaporean development company Fragrance Group.

Fragrance, controlled by property tycoon Koh Wee Meng, has outlaid $126.5 million buying three Australian sites in quick succession, including $78 million on 555 Collins Street, owned by developer Harry Stamoulis.

If the Duke of Kent attracts a similar land return it is expected to fetch more than $10 million.

The land has great redevelopment potential with three street frontages: La Trobe Street, Sutherland Street and Flanigan Lane.

Melbourne developer Brady Group recently finished construction of twin high-rise towers on the Little Lonsdale end of Sutherland Street.

”A development scheme has been undertaken by dKO Architecture in conjunction with Urban Pty Ltd for 322 apartments and ground-floor retail,” Mr O’Callaghan said. But it will be sold without a planning permit.

The Duke of Kent’s publicans had agreed to a variation of lease terms, which meant it would settle with vacant possession, he said.

HOME AGAIN: Alex McKinnon to makeemotional return to Hunter Stadium

IT shapes as the most emotional moment in the history of the Knights.
Shanghai night field

Four months after the devastating tackle that broke his neck and ended his rugby league career, Alex McKinnon will return to Hunter Stadium for the first time when the Knights host Gold Coast on Sunday week.

McKinnon’s appearance was confirmed yesterday in a media release to promote ‘‘RiseForAlex’’ round, the NRL’s fund-raising weekend to provide support for the 22-year-old Aberdeen product. “Being at the game in round 19 is going to be a great occasion,” McKinnon said in a video statement.

“Newcastle has looked after me and the whole community has looked after me over the last few months. I am really looking forward to going to the game.

“With the community of the NRL, my family, Teigan, all my mates and everyone from Newcastle, it hasn’t been easy, but they have made it a lot easier and I would just like to say thank you.”

It is unclear whether McKinnon will appear on the pitch before the game, allowing Knights fans to pay their respects, or if he would prefer to just take his seat in the coach’s box, as he did when Newcastle played the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on April 26.

Knights chief executive Matt Gidley said any suchdecision would be left entirely to McKinnon, but he admitted it would be a moving experience for everyone if the former Country Origin forward did accept an invitation to acknowledge the crowd.

‘‘We don’t want to put too much on Alex,’’ Gidley said yesterday.

‘‘We’re not going to ask him to do anything he doesn’t feel comfortable about.

‘‘I’m sure everyone would love to see him, but we just have to see how he’s feeling and be guided by Alex … to see him in round 19, physically at the game, I’d imagine it would be pretty powerful.’’

The NRL has arranged a host of fund-raising initiatives to coincide with ‘‘RiseForAlex’’ round, which should provide hundreds of thousands of dollars for his ongoing care and support.

Some of the key measures announced include:

● The NRL will donate $1 to the RiseForAlex Fund for every spectator who attends any match during round 19.

● Fans can buy RiseForAlex wristbands at all matches across rounds 19 and 20.

● Fans can also make donations at www.riseforalex上海后花园.au or by texting RiseForAlex to 0498 555 555.

● Channel Nine’s Footy Show will host a telethon, with help from with 150 Telstra volunteers and players from several clubs, during their broadcast on Thursday week.

‘‘We’d just encourage everyone to get along and show their support for Alex,’’ Gidley said. ‘‘As Newcastle always does, we rally together through tough times, and it’s been difficult for Alex.

‘‘I’m certainly hopeful we’ll get some great support for Alex on Sunday week when we play the Titans.’’

UNITED: Maroons captain Cameron Smith and Blues skipper Paul Gallen at yesterday’s official launch of the RiseForAlex campaign in Brisbane.

State of Origin captains Paul Gallen and Cameron Smith joined forces yesterday to promote ‘‘RiseForAlex’’ round.

“We have put our rivalries aside for a short time today to come together for a cause that is at the heart of every player in the game,” NSW skipper Gallen said.

Queensland captain Smith said McKinnon had shown ‘‘incredible courage and positivity’’ and urged fans to ‘‘applaud Alex’s strength by digging deep and supporting the ‘RiseFor Alex’ round.’’

NRL chief executive Dave Smith said McKinnon’s ‘‘positive attitude and contagious smile’’ had made him ‘‘a true role model for everyone in the game’’.

“The rugby league community support one another in times of need and we are calling on fans to come together for Alex McKinnon,” he said.

The ‘‘RiseForAlex Fund’’, which is independently managed by a board of directors, is aiming to provide McKinnon with accessible housing, a vehicle, a wheelchair, physiotherapy and rehabilitation as well as ongoing medical assistance.

Asian markets hit Temasek growth

Assets of Singapore’s sovereign investment fund Temasek Holdings slowed in the year to March as Asian holdings weighed on the performance as it boosted its exposure to Europe and the US amid economic recoveries.
Shanghai night field

The value of Temasek’s holdings increased 3.7 per cent, less than half the growth the previous year, to a record $S223 billion ($US179 billion) compared with $S215 billion, it said in its latest annual report.

Total shareholder return for the period, which includes dividends, shrunk to 1.5 per cent from 8.9 per cent in its previous fiscal year.

North America and Europe accounted for about 40 per cent of new investments as of March 31, with the top investments in financial services, life sciences and energy.

The fund’s investments in Australia slipped to 10 per cent of the total, from 13 per cent a year earlier, but it still ranks as the third largest single geographic concentration, after Singapore and China, it said.

Additionally, former Australian prime minister John Howard is an adviser to the fund.

”This year has been one of our most active years for new investments – the most active since the global financial crisis – driven by softer Asian markets of interest, as well as the continued recovery of the global economy,” chairman Lim Boon Heng said.

Shareholder returns averaged 16 per cent since inception in 1974. The average return was 10.9 per cent over a five-year period, it said. Temasek invested $S24 billion in new investments in the year, up from $S20 billion a year earlier, it said.

It boosted its stake in the healthcare industry, investing $S1 billion in biotech company Gilead Sciences, as well as buying large holdings in Thermo Fisher Scientific, a manufacturer of scientific instruments and chemicals, and in BioMarin Pharmaceutical, a developer of therapeutic enzyme products.

Divestments declined to $S10 billion from $S13 billion a year earlier as Temasek sold shares of Bharti Telecom Ltd and Seoul Semiconductor. Assets in Singapore rose to 31 per cent from 30 per cent of its holdings, it said.

Investments in the rest of Asia were unchanged at 41 per cent, while those in North America and Europe rose to 14 per cent from 12 per cent.

Financial services, which had accounted for 31 per cent of Temasek’s assets in the year to March 2013, fell to 30 per cent and remained the biggest industry for Temasek’s portfolio. Holdings in China Construction Bank, Standard Chartered and DBS Group are Temasek’s biggest assets by value after the holding in Singapore Telecommunications.

Net income widened to $S10.9 billion from $S10.6 billion a year earlier, Temasek said.

Temasek originally served as an owner of shares in former state-owned companies and began directly investing in foreign equities in 2002. Temasek is the world’s 10th-biggest state investor, according to Institutional Investor’s Sovereign Wealth Centre.

Bloomberg

Bad break for Jets youth team striker

Shanghai night field

UNCERTAIN: Radovan Pavicevic and his broken arm, right. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

RADOVAN Pavicevic has been released from hospital, but it could be six months before the Jets youth team striker has fully recovered.

Pavicevic had a metal plate and 12 screws inserted in his left humerus after breaking his upper arm in a challenge in the Jets’ 2-0 win over South Cardiff in the Northern NSW National Premier League at Ulinga Oval on Saturday.

The teenager crashed into the metal railing on top of the fence around the ground.

‘‘His arm is in a sling and they have started work on getting his elbow and shoulder moving,’’ coach James Pascoe said last night.

‘‘However, there is still concern around possible permanent nerve damage.

‘‘He lost function in his wrist on Saturday night. That could be due to the swelling and the trauma compressing the nerves. It could take three to six months before that comes back fully.

‘‘Our physio was at the hospital this morning when Rad was released and spoke to the surgeon. They have not given us a time frame.’’

Pavicevic travelled with his father yesterday to their home in Sydney, where he will spend 10 days.

‘‘He has a little program to do across that period and then start a full-blown rehabilitation program,’’ Pascoe said.

The challenge by defender Matt Darr on Pavicevic did not result in a free kick.

Gunners coach Greg Asquith described the tackle as a ‘‘freak accident’’, but it has raised concerns over the proximity of the fence at Ulinga Oval and other grounds.

Under NPL rules, perimeter fencing should be five metres from the sideline and three metres from the byline.

‘‘We do have NPL facilities match-day requirements for all clubs which was implemented at the beginning of the year,’’ Northern NSW’s football operations manager, Alan Nisbet, said yesterday.

‘‘It is a working document because our clubs obviously already have the fields, council fields, they play on.

‘‘What we are doing is working with the clubs as best we can to implement the regulations over a period of time.’’

Pavicevic was the table-topping Jets’ leading scorer.

‘‘There is no doubts that he will be missed,’’ Pascoe said. ‘‘Rad has scored eight goals in 11 games, but that is eight out of 36 goals. Left back Ben Hay has scored five or six, Beau McDonald has six or seven, Brandon Lundy is about the same. We have goals in us.’’

Liam O’Reilly, Cody Carroll and Sam Waller are contenders to replace Pavicevic.

● Central Coast’s Josh Rose and Storm Roux, Sydney FC’s Sasa Ognenovski and Ali Abbas, and Western Sydney’s Matthew Spiranovic and Tomi Juric are the first players to join Alessandro Del Piero in the A-League All Stars to face Juventus at ANZ Stadium on August 10.

Tim Owen calls for new negotiation on T4 levy

NOT HAPPY: Newcastle MP Tim Owen.NEWCASTLE council maintains the city was dudded. A ‘‘gobsmacked’’ Newcastle MP Tim Owen agreed, saying a new round of negotiations was the only way to turn things around.
Shanghai night field

But yesterday’s revelations that the city could lose as much as $48million worth of developer levies on the controversial fourth coal-loader project didn’t strike the same chord with Planning Minister Pru Goward, who baulked at hosing down the fire created by her state planning department bureaucrats.

As revealed by the Newcastle Herald, state planners recommended that Port Waratah Coal Services need only pay the council $528,000 to cover the potential impacts the coal-loader would have on the city. It was a long way short of the $48million, or 1per cent of the development’s $4.8billion value, that such developments could normally attract in Newcastle.

Ms Goward was asked if she thought her department’s recommendation was fair given the size of the development and its potential impacts on the city’s air, roads and infrastructure, health and environment.

‘‘The minister will look forward to Port Waratah and the council negotiating an outcome and to hearing what the Planning Assessment Commission has to say,’’ was all a spokesman for Ms Goward would say yesterday.

Earlier, her office had argued that it had been difficult for the Department of Planning to make a recommendation on developer contributions because the council itself had not lodged any submission.

In fact, the council had warned the department on several occasions that its ‘‘Section 94A levy’’ was notably absent from the department’s draft recommendations.

As late as February this year, the council advised the department that it would seek the full $48million levy from PWCS unless an agreement was negotiated between the two parties.

‘‘There is no doubt that everyone was a bit gobsmacked when the department approved the project without some sort of [agreement] between Port Waratah and the council,’’ Mr Owen said.

‘‘I think even PWCS was surprised … But there is no doubt the company and the council need to negotiate an outcome. Port Waratah lives in this city as well and I know they want to do the right thing.

‘‘I’ll be writing a submission to the PAC myself and I’ll be saying that the contribution needs to be significantly more than what the department has recommended.’’

Council general manager Ken Gouldthorp said there were two options.

‘‘Either Port Waratah needs to come forward and enter an agreement with council or the [department’s] recommendation needs to change,’’ he said.

But Newcastle Greens councillor Michael Osborne wants PWCS to pay the full $48million levy. He said that while PWCS might point to the upgrades of Cormorant Road and expensive environmental offsets as ‘‘other benefits’’ of their project, they are requirements of the development consent and not ‘‘special gifts’’.

Despite PWCS indicating that it is happy to negotiate a final amount with the council, Cr Osborne remained doubtful.

‘‘Why would PWCS pay more now that the department has said it’s happy for them to hand over just half a million?’’ he said. ‘‘It’s ridiculous.’’